ACARS Weather

larty737

Re: ACARS Weather

Post by larty737 »

G'day,
Thanks for the input.
I have no problem with obtaining the Simbrief flight plan, W & B and weather with the "new" data link.What I have a problem with is :- A. No weather available in the "old" Data link. B. No access to things like menus for GSX Ground Services etc.in the "new" data link. The "old" data link is fine except for no weather available. The "new" data link is fine except for no menus or access to the functions provided by Prosimutils. I know that these menus are not in the real aircraft FMC but they provided a ready access to some program functions, provided courtesy of Humberto and Prosimutils.
Are you using programs such as GSX Ground Services, or access for door opening etc. Do you have a full size sim. or just a desktop ? Because I think the mindset is different for each and the way things are accessed are different. No criticism,just an observation as we are all mad simmers !!
A video on my Youtube channel will show the differences....probably later today.
Regards
Les
youtube.com/@lestaylorB737sim
Aussie1234

Post by Aussie1234 »

Personally, regarding doors: I have 6 illuminated buttons on a small panel on the AFT Overhead. This enables me to open/close the doors for GSX2 operations. I never felt comfortable doing this on the FMC and taking me away from entering flight data.
As you say, everyone's cockpit is unique, and preferences differ.
Aussie
Full enc. Cockpit: Prosim737 V3.1x : P3Dv5.3HF1+: AS3D: REX Sky Force: Orbx Scenery: GSX2; Simworld Fwd OHD: Jetmax manual Throttle: OC USB Radios etc.; MCP V3; 2 x EFIS; 2 x CDU: RTX 2070 Super; 4 ext views. 210 deg.: Total 6 W10 PCs on 1GB network.
larty737

Post by larty737 »

Yep.... We all have different set ups. I used to use a normal keyboard and rely on the menu popping up on my screen to deal with the various commands for GSX2. Having them as voice commands via "Voice Attack" and having GSX accommodated in the FMC menus makes it a bit more convenient. I sometimes enter my flight plan details and other inputs to the FMC via my instructor station monitor and a stand alone instance of the "CDU" for convenience rather than realism. It's easier when I can refer to Simbrief and loading etc. outside of the cockpit. A bit like a pilot briefing room really !! But all these bits and pieces still do not address the issue that the " new" Data link does not have the functionality of the "old" one....regardless of each persons preferences or setup. I'm not being narky, I just feel that people are saying in a round about way, this is progress when really it is only change and we change with it and forego our previous luxuries !!
Thanks all for the input
Regards
Les
Bazbeaumont

Post by Bazbeaumont »

larty737 wrote: 05 Nov 2022, 06:13 G'day,
Thanks for the input.
I have no problem with obtaining the Simbrief flight plan, W & B and weather with the "new" data link.What I have a problem with is :- A. No weather available in the "old" Data link. B. No access to things like menus for GSX Ground Services etc.in the "new" data link. The "old" data link is fine except for no weather available. The "new" data link is fine except for no menus or access to the functions provided by Prosimutils. I know that these menus are not in the real aircraft FMC but they provided a ready access to some program functions, provided courtesy of Humberto and Prosimutils.
Are you using programs such as GSX Ground Services, or access for door opening etc. Do you have a full size sim. or just a desktop ? Because I think the mindset is different for each and the way things are accessed are different. No criticism,just an observation as we are all mad simmers !!
A video on my Youtube channel will show the differences....probably later today.
Regards
Les
youtube.com/@lestaylorB737sim
Hi Les,
I have a full size sim and I also use GSX. For GSX I use a program called "Touch Portal" to interface using my EFB touch screen to open doors, set jetways, call up the fuel bowser etc., etc.

If you want to get weather in the "old" Prosimutils then you can select the provider as VATSIM in the PSU ACARS\Weather tab. It does not work using the Online function with the noaa website.
The text in the dialogue box "http://tgftp.nws.noaa.gov/data/observations/metar/stations/{STATION}.TXT" is correct but there seems to be a SSL\TLS digital signature problem. If you copy the URL address into your browser substituting "STATION" with the ICAO ident of the airport you want,then it works.
Similarly it works for the TAF using the other URL.

I think that one of the reasons why the new datalink does not have all the bells and whistles of PSU is that Prosim has moved way beyond what Marty originally intended, as a tool for home cockpit builders. Prosim is now geared much more to the commercial market who don't need any of the stuf that you and I consider "normal". It is what it is and I doubt the path forward will change any time soon, if ever.
Ron B

larty737

Post by larty737 »

G'day
Thanks for your info. All noted and agree entirely. My little problem has been sorted. It was as you mention. Somehow the weather tab went to "online" instead of "Vatsim" as it had been for many years of using it .No idea why but all is well now.
It wasn't until "Bernie" PM'd me and mentioned that he was getting the weather OK with Active Sky that I investigated that tab. So the "ointment in the fly" was resolved this morning !!!!
Continuing with the "old" will give everything I need for now. I can't see ProSim providing our old stuff as you said.
Best regards
Les

Quick edit.
I meant to mention that I use "Voice Attack" for all the commands in GSX2 It works well via my PTT on the yoke. The only bugbear with GSX2 ,is having the menu pop up on the screen, regardless of the way it is commanded. I would love that to be somehow "on demand only" . It takes away from the impressiveness.
Bernie

Post by Bernie »

Hi Les,

Yes I am a user of Voice Attack and love to make use of it. Have you tried just reducing the window size of the GSX menu and hiding it in the corner of your monitor. I did this and I could not see it. :D
Kind Regards

Bernie.
Bernie
larty737

Post by larty737 »

G'day Bernie,
Yes I did try this at one stage which was OK for the session but reverted back to the middle of the middle projection next session. I need to investigate more ....AND WRITE STUFF DOWN !! I would like it to be able to be shown on the IPad on the sill rather than the main screen. I wonder if anyone has any ideas on this.

(Having trouble with ProSim shutting down as noted in the "software" section so have not tackled that video yet.)
Regards
Les

Return to “ProsimUtils - by Wpslider”