Ethernet interface

Jeroenpaap

Ethernet interface

Post by Jeroenpaap »

Hi,

I’m looking to start a A320 build with a friend. I currently own a 737 that runs on CPflight and a pokeys card. So no issues here with USB.

However, this new build is on a budget and would be litterly starting from scratch. Therefore we need to decide on the best interface to base our build on, whilst keeping budget in mind.

I was looking at arduino mega boards, but I am worried about the amount of USB cables involved taking into account the full build.

The other option would be ethernet based boards. I am wondering if you guys have any suggestions here and experience? Again, keeping the budget in mind as well.

Kind regards and thank you,
Jay
Bernie

Re: Ethernet interface

Post by Bernie »

Hi Jay,

I have used Arduino Mega boards, but USB. Have you considered the Ethernet Mega Boards.?
Kind Regards

Bernie.
Bernie
Hakkie

Post by Hakkie »

If I would have to start over, I'd look into the Phidgets VINT range:
https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=3&catid= ... rodid=1143
https://www.phidgets.com/?tier=0&catid=0&pcid=1

I'm not sure however if all needed controllers/boards are supported by the ProSim built-in driver. A lot of it was added over time, see changelogs ("Phidgets22"). If you're interested you could ask via a support ticket about official support for VINT devices. On paper it looks quite interesting... ;)
Kind regards,
Henk-Jan
Try not to become a man of success, but rather try to become a man of value (Albert Einstein)
Click HERE for my flightsimulator info
ame

Post by ame »

I started doing this with an Arduino and an ENC28J60 Ethernet module and X-Plane. I was able to initiate a request from the Arduino to X-Plane to get some data (compass heading and instrument panel brightness), and in the X-Plane logs I could see that it was attempting to send the data back, however the Arduino did not receive anything. I intended to try a Wiznet Ethernet because it's a different implementation (so it might fail in a different way) but I never got round to it and I've shelved the project for now.

I have used the same mechanism to request data on a Raspberry Pi, which does work, but I never investigated why it didn't work on the Arduino.

Unfortunately Pis are scarce at the moment. I think that using a Pi to send and receive data from the simulator and then hooking up to hardware attached to the Pi GPIO would be the ideal solution. You could have two or three Pis around the simulator connected via Ethernet, then local wiring to the simulator panels for LEDs and switches etc.

Return to “Cockpit building questions”