Pokeys 57E going into recovery mode when Prosim loads

Bernie

Re: Pokeys 57E going into recovery mode when Prosim loads

Post by Bernie »

Hi Ed,

Make sure that the outputs for the Led's are inverted as I think you will find that they will not work otherwise. Make sure you set an IP address in the cards and don't allow the DHCP to take over. Confirm that the IP address is as you have assigned the card. Always keep a backup of the CFG file so that no matter what, you can get the assignments back if you lose them from a reset of the card but you will need to let Prosim, Auto configure the card.
Kind Regards

Bernie.
Bernie
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

egkkman wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 07:58 Hi Ed,

I feel your pain, believe me.

Yes a reset does lose settings, if you choose to use the auto config in Prosim this is not really a problem though. However, I take a screen shot of the settings in the Polabs config software and so it's easy to reinstall them manually, which I tend to do since I'd rather have the control and know what has been done. Also, I've had issues with the auto config, particularly with rotary switches, so I stopped using it.

Yes, I have been having issues with rotary switches as well. Very hard to assign as the ports don't seem to want to match up with their card equivalents. Seems to jump around alot. I'm seriously thinking of disabling the Prosim Auto configure, at least for now as will be one less gremlin in the mix.
I'm not sure resetting will help with your issue though. The very odd thing is why they are all playing up, if it was one a reset might work.
Good point. I think you are right. Will be a very last resort. Highly unlikely that all cards would be subject to a reset.

With the Ethernet versions you need to give them a power supply, 5 volts I think (please check this). Are the cards getting the required power?
Have you used the Polabs config software to check the functions (LEDs, switches, encoders etc.) work when Prosim is not connected? It's under the peripherals tab.
I guess you've double checked the Prosim settings i.e that the poller is off.
Will double check the 5v feeds. They should all be getting 5 volts though. I'll look deeper into the Polabs software. The Poller is off but will double check to be sure.
Trying to diagnose a problem from afar is tricky however, I suspect you have a single problem affecting all cards (based on what you have said). I would disconnect all cards except for one and work from that point.

Polabs support is pretty good, might be worth submitting a support ticket.
Great ideas and good places to start. It hadn't occurred to me to contact Polabs support. Thanks for bringing that up.
Good luck Ed.

Dave

Thanks alot . Valuable comments Dave. Gives me more things to try.
Best Regards,
Ed
P3D5.2HF1/Simconnect/FSUIPC6.12, PSV3.08b49, 7382021_1.56/2.05,WFS, PSU1.8, W10, W7,W10,FDS CDU/MIP, CPFlight MCP/EFIS Pro2/EFIS EL/Pedestal, Sismo Aft,ASP3D,ProATC,vPilot,PFPX,TOPCAT,MSFS/Simconnect/FSUIPC7,
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Bernie wrote: 14 Jan 2020, 08:42 Hi Ed,

Make sure that the outputs for the Led's are inverted as I think you will find that they will not work otherwise. Make sure you set an IP address in the cards and don't allow the DHCP to take over. Confirm that the IP address is as you have assigned the card. Always keep a backup of the CFG file so that no matter what, you can get the assignments back if you lose them from a reset of the card but you will need to let Prosim, Auto configure the card.
Hi Bernie,

I will check the outputs for inversion. I'm going to take a long hard look at the IP addresses today. I have a feeling there is a big issue there. I suspect some type of comms error, just haven't figured it out yet. Appreciate the tips on backing up the cfg. Will be sure to do that today. With regards to a reset, probably wont we required at this time, as Dave mentioned in his post, highly unlikely a reset would be needed when the problem seems to be affecting all 5 cards.

Thanks Bernie,
Will let you know later on how I make out.
Best Regards,
Ed
P3D5.2HF1/Simconnect/FSUIPC6.12, PSV3.08b49, 7382021_1.56/2.05,WFS, PSU1.8, W10, W7,W10,FDS CDU/MIP, CPFlight MCP/EFIS Pro2/EFIS EL/Pedestal, Sismo Aft,ASP3D,ProATC,vPilot,PFPX,TOPCAT,MSFS/Simconnect/FSUIPC7,
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Update:

Hi All,

Well, whatever I did to the Pokeys , it also reached across the network and affected my USB Pokeys card in my MIP. It seems somehow all the output ports became inverted. So,the result of this was that every annunciator that was active in the sim, was off on the MIP. Every annunciator that was lit on the MIP was off in the sim. Backwards of course. I forgot to check the switches to see if they were inverted as well. Hopefully not. This one was a reasonably easy fix and I've recovered it just fine, barring checking switch inputs. Also, my encoders for Land and flight alt which were working perfectly have gone south. Those are on PE 5 so that's the last card in the bunch so will be awhile before I get to it.

I've managed to completely recover Pokeys Ethernet Card 1. Annunciators and switches all working normally on this card now. I really didn't get anywhere until after reading posts in this forum concerning Pokeys start up procedure.

What I've done so far:
- Disconnected all Pokeys except for PE1
- Checked voltage- 4.9 volts
- gave the card it's own static IP - although for some reason PoLabs warns Gateway is incorrect, but I believe it's fine.
- opened port 20055 for TCP and UDP
- Checked Poller Off.
- retraced every wire from PE1 for proper connection
- I found that when I inverted outputs in PoLabs, then they would light, however I had to un-invert the outputs to get them to light in Prosim

Something I read in this forum section was instrumental in getting the annunciators back:
- Polabs software under Device - Initialize Outputs on startup - This got them working again -- Very important
- I probably fiddled with some other things that I haven't remembered to include here

So this is where I'm at today. 4 more ethernet cards to go, but I'm very very nervous to continue as the next card, PE2 is the one that gave me all the problems in the first place. I will wait a few days, read some more and think some more before I continue. At least now I know how to recover and my stress level has gone down dramatically. :)
Best Regards,
Ed
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

I've almost recovered my 3rd Pokeys card. 3 more ports to go but they are proving difficult. They are 23,24 and 25.. often used for displaying digits, however I want to use them for outputs. The problem is that the area to change them to outputs is greyed out. I enclose a picture to show the issue. I'm hoping one of the resident Pokeys experts might have the answer.
Attachments
Notice the area all greyed out
Notice the area all greyed out
Best Regards,
Ed
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

Hi,
it looks like you still have assigned something to those connectors in Prosim. Try to start the Polabs software without Prosim737.exe running. Check with the taskmanager whether Prosim737.exe is not running in the background to be sure.
This is typically what you see when Wendy's display led driver is connected.
Regards,
Dirk

onthefence

Post by onthefence »

dvincent wrote: 23 Jan 2020, 12:37 Hi,
it looks like you still have assigned something to those connectors in Prosim. Try to start the Polabs software without Prosim737.exe running. Check with the taskmanager whether Prosim737.exe is not running in the background to be sure.
This is typically what you see when Wendy's display led driver is connected.
Hi Dirk,

Yes, agree it does look like led displays are attached however nothing but signals for outputs have ever been on these three ports so it is odd for sure. I will check the task manager to be sure Prosim is not running. I can change any of the other ports on the card, it's just these three ports on the entire card that are greyed out. Maybe after all of this I will have to reset the card and see if that works, but was hoping I wouldn't have to.

Thanks for your input,
Best Regards,
Ed
onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Hi All,

I figured it out. Under Peripherals/Led Displays I had Enable Led Display 2 box checkmarked. When I removed the checkmark I no longer have the Led Display ports greyed out. 23,24 and 25 are the last three ports to configure on this card. Slowly getting everything back. It looks like I will be able to fully recover PE2 and move on to PE3.
Best Regards,
Ed

Return to “PoKeys”