Backlighting

paul7647

Backlighting

Post by paul7647 »

Hi

I am about to start backlighting my MIP

Is there a limit to how many LEDs I can run in parallel to one port on the 64 LED card?

I am going to start with the auto brake panel using ultra bright LEDs with roughly 8 of them one behind each item attached to a piece of plexiglass.

I assume this is the wright way to do it!

Cheers

Paul
Cheers
Paul
wkrp2005

Re: Backlighting

Post by wkrp2005 »

Hi Paul,

I have the LED64 Adv board (1032) and asked Phidgets support about the same thing. See below:

Question:
"I have the LED64 Adv (1032) board and have flight simulator annunciators that require four LEDs per. I will be using 5mm, 20mA LEDs of red, amber and green.

Can I connect all four LEDs in parallel and connect the bundled wires to one output on the board? Or do I need to bundle two and use two outputs? I see that each output can supply 80mA each. However, I am not sure how many LEDs can really be connected to each output.

Answer:
"That is the absolute maximum. I would recommend sticking to 2 or 3 LEDs per port to make sure you don't over tax the board.

Brian Burley
Phidgets Support
403-282-7335
http://www.phidgets.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hope this helps...
Keith
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

It's not very wise to use a Phidget led board for the MIP backlights, it's an expensive solution. It's much cheaper to make a Led-dimmer with some cheap components or if you're not that handy you can buy a Led-dimmer.
On the website of Rene Hoep, a Dutch buillder, you can find the schematic to build one: http://hoeprr.home.xs4all.nl/DreamHC/Seite32.html
Scroll down and you will see an example. There is a remark about the number of leds he used per serie: he recommends using 3 leds instead of 4 for a better dimming result.
Regards,
Dirk

wkrp2005

Post by wkrp2005 »

Yes. Good point Dirk.

I bought the warm white LED strips on eBay along with an appropriate power supply. Haven't hooked it up yet but you can cut these to most any length and attach a dimmer.

see for example:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5M-RGB-5050-SMD ... 20e00f99f6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
markfire

Post by markfire »

Use (as previously mentioned) rolls of led lights. You can get them in all colours and powered from a 12 v PC power supply. I have mine hooked up to a dimmer on the overhead and the power is supplied through a relay card. This way when you turn off the battery the lights extinguish. Easy to accomplish with minimal expense.

I simply stuck my LEDs to a backboard. This gives nice even lighting to the whole overhead.

You can see if you look at the right wiper markings where I've used orange gel behind the panel to change the colour of the white LEDs.

When this picture was taken I had not sealed around the individual panels to block the light spill. Easily done with modelling clay or the like.

Good luck.
image.jpg
regards

Mark
paul7647

Post by paul7647 »

Thanks for the info guys, I have now ordered the led strip with a dimmer.
I take it that I will have to make a board that will cover all the mip
panels and run the strip LEDs in one piece to line up with the nessecary backlight items.

Cheers

Paul
Cheers
Paul
markfire

Post by markfire »

Yup. For the overhead yes. For the MIP I just placed various strips of LEDs where required using stand offs.
A tip for stopping the led lighting up your announciators is to use modelling clay on the back of the announciator LEDs or paint them black.

Good luck.
regards

Mark
paul7647

Post by paul7647 »

Thanks Mark

But I only want to use one plug to light all of
the MIP so I assume I just blank off the LEDs not being
used with tape or something similar.

Cheers

Paul
Cheers
Paul
markfire

Post by markfire »

Paul

Two options. If you're ok soldering you can cut the led strip at the suitable place and solder wires to it direct from the previous led strip.

Or you can buy connectors to join led strip

Most flexible option is to solder as you can run the wires at any length you need.

Again you can run this off one pc power supply 12v and put it through a relay card.

Dimmer as required mate.
regards

Mark
paul7647

Post by paul7647 »

Hi Mark

Yes soldering is not a problem, never thought of that.
Will try it!
Cheers
Paul
Cheers
Paul

Return to “Phidgets”