Tuning for Jetstream FS9

Aussie123

Tuning for Jetstream FS9

Post by Aussie123 »

Bottom line: I can't get the tuning correct on my system and I am wondering what the variables are; and how come they aren't the same for everyone.

In my thinking, the PROSIM MCP simply talks directly to FS9 through FSUIPC to control the Jetstream model? Sound correct? (MCP >FSUIPC > FS9)
What are the variables that can affect that process?

Controlling the aircraft manually however, will be different for everyone depending on how their pitch, bank and rudder axis are delivered via FSUIPC to FS9. (Mine go through IOCards > SIOC > WideFS >FSUIPC variables). I don't touch any axis in the FSUIPC control panel.

Flying at 15,000 feet, following a long leg with the LNAV VNAV controlling the aircraft, the aircraft swings left and right by a few degrees. Changing the simulation rate to x2 or x4 exaggerates the swing. If I go to the MCP tuning and change it from 100 down 10% at a time (generally fine tuning around 70%) I can't get rid of the swing. I presume I can just change the value and save? (Not close the MCP down each time?)

Any help appreciated,

Aussie123
filippoporcari

Re: Tuning for Jetstream FS9

Post by filippoporcari »

hi aussie,
in the mcp tuning tab the values suggested by marty are (from top to bottom) 100, 70, 100, 2.8
anyway the value that should be responsible of the behaviour u reported is the hdg stability (second value).
anyway prosim autopilot is fine tuned on the fsx flight model....and fs9 flight model behaviour itself is not "as good as the fsx one" as reported by lapi, the developer....this due to fs9 limitations.
by the way not only the tuning is responsible of "s turns"....also the weather if managed by external programs can strongly affect those autopilot performances: please if u own and use active sky, take some time to read and apply the suggestions they wrote in their manual about fsuipc and FS settings about wind and turbulence.
hope to be of any help :-)
regards
fil

" ...listen to all your pilot friends...but trust ONLY your FCOM! "
Aussie123

Re: Tuning for Jetstream FS9 (believed Solved)

Post by Aussie123 »

Thank you Fil for your advice,

I believe I have found my problem and it is my stupid fault. I went home last night and began test flights again. After a few frustrating flights I turned on the lower SYS EICAS on a spare screen (I don't have a lower screen so never look at it). I then noticed the rudder indicator wasn't centralized. It was a few degrees off to the left and didn't move while the aircraft was swinging left and right. I then realized I had changed the centralizing springs on my home built dual rudder peddles a month ago and hadn't re-centered the nul point in SIOC. :oops: After take off I hadn't been touching the rudders and assumed the the rudder was pointing the right way or was being trimmed back to center.

Anyway, it was getting late. I re-centralized the High/Low/center points in hardware and took one more flight. It seems to be fine. The landing was perfect.

I had wrongly assumed that the FCU had full control of the rudder. Seems it doesn't.

More testing tonight.

PS. I have been testing in clear skys (no weather set)

Aussie123

Return to “Jetstream AFM 737 800 FS9”