Issue with Pokeys card

DUCAUD

Issue with Pokeys card

Post by DUCAUD »

I have custom made Fwd and Aft Overheads. I have an FDS Sys 1x for the switches and the indicators, I have a Pololou Mini maestro for the overhead gauges.
and I have two Pokeys, one for the digital displays of the electrical panel, and the other for the cruising altitude and landing altitude display of the pressure panel
All of these cards are connected to a USB Hub on the Fwd Overhead.
I have an ASUS Maximus Hero VI motherboard.
I been having problems starting windows 7/64. It hangs up upon start. I first realized that if I unplug the USB hub on the FWD overhead, Windows 7 starts perfectly.
I started to isolate the issue, plugging just the USB hub alone, then each of the other boards, and I realized that the culprit is the Pokeys that control the altitude and landing displays.
I have done the test numerous times with the same results, If I power the PC with the Pokeys plugged in, it does not start, If I unplug it, the power the PC, windows starts perfectly.
Does anybody has any ideas what might be causing this? The strange thing is that the other Pokeys powering the electrical displays have no issue whatsoever.
Thanks and Regards,

Juan
dvincent

Re: Issue with Pokeys card

Post by dvincent »

Hi,
I suppose you are using 2 led-extension boards as well. Try to disconnect the led extension board of the problem card.
Regards,
Dirk

DUCAUD

Post by DUCAUD »

Hello Dirk
Thanks for your reply.
What is a 2 led extension board?
I have a powered USB hub which is connected to the main server via 7 feet usb cable.
The four card I use FDS SYS 1x, 2 Pokeys, and 1 Pololu are conneted to this hub via USB cable (are these the 2 led estensions you mentioned)
I have already realized, that if I unplug the USB cable (in Red) that connects the problem Pokeys to the Hub, Windows 7 64 starts normally.
If I pluggled the cable back Windows fail to start.
I have already made sure that the HUB is plugged to a USB2 socket in the Server PC not a USB3.
I have also disabled in the BIOS the usage of USB3, converting all USB sockets to USB2.
Another thing I did on the BIOS was to disable "Boot from USB" which I read causes some issues.
What is strange is that theo other Pokeys card, has no issues. So it could be a faulty pokeys card.
If I plugged in the problem card after the Server starts Windows, ther is no issue, it is only on start up.

FWD OVHD.jpg
Thanks and Regards

Juan
dvincent

Post by dvincent »

Hi Juan,
You don't need a led extension board for the led display cards. I mixed up some things, sorry for that. I might be indeed a problem with that Pokeys card. Maybe it is a good idea to check the settings of that card with the Pokeys software. Eventually reset the card to factory settings and then redo the setup. Other idea might be to test that card with another computer.
Regards,
Dirk

onthefence

Post by onthefence »

Hi Jaun,

I'm wondering if it might be the USB extension cable. Does this Pokeys card have it's own dedicated power supply? You've probably already done this, but I guess you could further isolate by slowly removing items connected to the Pokeys Card in question. Another idea, that a fellow forum member mentioned to me ..you might try contacting Polabs Support as maybe they have heard of this phenomena before.
Best Regards,
Ed
P3D4.5HF3/FSUIPC/FSUIPC5.1, MSFS/Simconnect/FSUIPC7, PSV3.04b3, 7382020_1.55 ,WFS, PSU1.8, W10, W7,W10,FDS CDU/MIP, CPFlight MCP/EFIS Pro2/EFIS EL/Pedestal, Sismo Aft OH,AS4,ASCA,ProATC,UT2,vPilot,PFPX,TOPCAT,RAAS Pro,GSXL2,

Return to “PoKeys”